Our History
The NGO Bowling Club was formed on the 13 August 1936 and officially opened 24 October 1936.
Mr AJ Isdale and HM Martin were dubbed the ‘Fathers of the CLub’ as they prepared the site, sowed the grass seed and generally established the first NGO Bowling Club green. In 1935 there were nine bowling clubs in the Bay of Plenty with a combined membership of 458 and so NGO became the tenth. As a point of interest, the next club formed in the Bay of Plenty was Ohope in the 1950 and Arawa in 1951.
The club had little gear so in November 1937 it was decided to build a shed to house club property. NGO Bowling Club members have always been generous in donating materials and the shed was built by the members. The tremendous spirit of self-help and co-operation has always been a hallmark of the NGO Bowling Club since its inception and continues to this day permeating the entire history of the club. From completion of the small shed was born the concept of the first ‘pavilion’ which was completed in February 1939 largely through donations of materials and hours of voluntary labour. By the end of 1937 it was agreed that the clubs growth involved considerable work for the secretary, so he was granted an honorarium of 5 pound which remained at that figure for the next 24 years! It was increased to ten pound in 1961 along with free membership.
In 1950 the local body union organiser demanded that the greenkeeper join the union. The club strongly opposed pointing out that the greenkeeper was employed on a contract basis and was not obliged to do so. To this day the greenkeeper is still employed on a contractual basis.
In October 1955 women were able to use the greens and as a result the NGO Women’s Bowling Club was formed in 1957. The men’s and women’s club amalgamated in 2000.
The new pavilion sited on the northern side of the greens was formally opened by the Hon. Harry Lapwood, M.P for Rotorua and Minister of Tourism 10 September 1977. The chairman of the Rotorua County Council, Mr John Keaney was an official speaker and at the ceremony Tom Henderson and Des Crawford were presented with their gold stars.
The Henderson brothers donated the club's two honours boards. It has often been said that the generosity, gifts and countless hours of service these gentlemen provided over many years would be almost impossible to quantify. While many members have made outstanding contributions to the progress and administration of the club, those whose service has been truly exceptional have been awarded the highest honour the club can bestow—Life Membership.
There is little doubt that three of these people stand out insofar as longevity of service in concerned.
JG Henderson – Jack Henderson joined the club in 1944. Served on NGO, Bowls BOP and Bowls NZ positions from 1945 till his death in 1969
TG Henderson – Tom Henderson joined the club in 1944. Served on NGO positions from 1957 till 1975 and was patron from 1983 till his death in 1984. An avid bowler having won many club and regional tournaments
RN Black – ‘Tubby Black’. Another long serving player/administrator who joined the club I November 1949.. Elected to the committee in 1950 and held a number of club positions from 1950 to 1980. Held two centre titles and other awards.
The above three men contributed no less than 82 years of service to the Ngo Bowling Club and are recognised as outstanding members.